Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just a little exploring

Look! I bought something, with won!
The foreign teachers at my school (Western teachers) have been showing me and the other new girl, Laura, a few good places to eat, to shop for necessities, and all of that. They've been very helpful, however today we were wanted to go explore and find somewhere on our own to eat. This was fine, but it made me realize how much I had depended on reading signs. Back home, I could just look down a street and read the signs to see how many restaurants are down there, what kinds they are, etc. Here, everything kind of looks the same still since I'm new, so I have to literally walk right next to a store front to look inside the window and see people eating. This might make me a little creepy till I learn to read Korean.

Take that, Iron Chef!
Yumm!
After some looking around we went into a place where they sat us down on the floor and handed us a menu. It was all written in Korean and there were no pictures like the menus at some other places I had been to. The lady pointed at the first thing on the menu with a smile, so we said ok, might as well take her word for it. She then came out with a large pan of cold, raw octopus and vegetables, and placed it on the burner in the middle of our table for us to cook. Not quite what we were expecting, but hey, we were looking for local flavor. We cooked it up and it was actually pretty good, we did it!! Walking back from there I noticed that most restaurants have a picture of the animal that they serve either posted or drawn on their store front....ours had a picture of some dishes with tentacles in them, oops. But it's all good, we're here to try new things...like banana cheese puffs and peanut fish crackers, which I tried the other day, accidentally :)

No comments:

Post a Comment