Wednesday, August 25, 2010

And we're off...

So August 23rd 2010 was my first flight overseas! I have never been anywhere outside of the US (except Canada, but we all know that doesn't count), and now all of a sudden I was boarding a 10 hour flight to take me across the Pacific Ocean for a year's worth of working, confusion, and hopefully adventures!

View at Tokyo Narita Airport
Japanese Gift Shop
The flight was pretty smooth the whole way, just loooonnng. 10 hours to Tokyo Narita Airport (what what!!) where I had an hour to check out the Japanese gift shops. Then back on another plane for 2 hours to Busan, Korea! I arrived at about 9pm and stood in line for immigration and then to get my bags. 2 bags for a whole year and I did it, can you believe it?? I then exchanged my US$ for over 1.4 million Korean won, I'm rich!! A guy from the school picked me up, but he spoke just enough English to say, "Elizabeth? Get in." Which was fine because I was completely exhausted by this point. However, my night was not done. Before I knew it I was at the school (my new workplace) to meet my Director and all of my fellow foreign teachers (native English teachers). They told me my whole training schedule for the next week. Finally after all that, I was taken to a motel to get some rest.


The motel was nice, but there was something kind of weird about it. There were mirrors on the walls, on the dresser a box of tissues with a sex hotline ad printed on it, and condoms by the bedside...then later I found out that the name on the outside of the building translates to the Love Motel....and that I'm lucky that my bed isn't shaped like a heart as in some rooms....well alrighty then. But besides those lovely details, I slept like a baby from the jetlag, and woke up in time to start my first day of work!

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet, so glad you are there safe and got a chance to put up some blog posts. And don't get any ideas in that Love Motel!! :P

    ReplyDelete