Saturday, September 4, 2010

Daegu

View from the bus ride over
I went somewhere! Daegu to be exact, and it was awesome! Mostly because I figured out how to get there, hehe. That actually is one of my most favorite parts about this, because that means that I can figure out how to get anywhere around here, muahaha! Here I come, Korea, ready or not!
Daegu is a gateway city, don't know what to
Central area where performances are held
See, boutique-ish, no?
Shoes! Right outside, so many shoes!
Narrow street of Daegu
Crazy wires
Dr. Atkins', may I introduce ..potato pizza!
Park fountain, thar she blows!
billboard mania
My friend from college, Sandy, is also here to teach English. She invited me to go to Daegu on Saturday with some friends she had met here. I brought my new friend and fellow newbie at our school, Laura. We managed to take a taxi to the Changwon bus terminal, got the right bus to Daegu, and about 2 hours later found ourselves where we're supposed to be! This city is much farther north than where we live. We met up with Sandy and her crew, who were getting a tour of the city from a friend of theirs who knew the lay of the land. Then we walked around to explore the shops, bookstores, a park, and got some lunch. I had pizza, but of course it warn't no ordinary pizza, it was Potato Pizza (better than ice cream pizza, eh?)! This city has a shopping district that is more boutique-y than the city I live in. And it is much bigger. We only grazed a small  section of it, but I think there is much more around there. But it was very cool to see another city, and to meet new people too, which we are always trying to do. It was really helpful that some of the people in Sandy's group were so knowledgeable about Daegu and what to look at there. And it was especially nice to see her as well.....face to face with a familiar face!

This whole family said hi to me after this picture
He looks so sad :-(
One of Sandy's friends helped Laura and I find the train station so that we could take the train back. Ooo, train. The ticket machines there actually have an English mode, so that makes it much easier, but you still have to figure out where to go. Riding the train was great, and we even figured out how to do a train transfer, yeah buddy!! the bus ride there and train ride home were fantastic, because we rode through the gorgeous green mountain countryside. I just stared out the window, soaked it all in and felt very lucky. It gave me peace, while at the same time fueled my desire to see more of the world. We got home with tired feet and no energy, but we were quite satisfied with the day's success.

Our train to take us home
One of the many views from the train
One thing was though, it was super hot that day. Now, even with the beads of sweat pouring down my back, actually I didn't think much of it. Every day has been hot and I just figured that it was because I was traveling in the peak of summer in Korea..... I pretty much literally signed up for this. But actually, Daegu is the hottest city in Korea, temperature-wise. I found this out on Monday, after we had gone. Oh well, I kept myself hydrated so it's all good.

1 comment: