Thursday, October 21, 2010

Changwon by Day

A tiny park

Another angle on tiny park

Cats Bar!

So much garbage!!


One of many sets of tall apartments




Buildings by day

Street sign
Since I'll be living here for a while still, and I actually really like this city a lot, I wanted to post some more pictures of my current town, Changwon! It's a decent-sized city, and I live 2 blocks from the downtown area, which spans for about 6-7 blocks or so. It reminds me a little bit of Seattle, which is probably why I like it :)  But it's not by the water and, while it is cleaner than a really big city, it still is kind of dirty in some parts. By now, I have more or less gotten used to the strange and random smells of Korea that hit you at every turn....although every once in a while I am hit with a whopping whiff of super fish smell, or deliciously fragrant grapes, or a lethal mix of sewage and sulfur....just depends on the day, what street you're on, etc. There are several little parks and patches of trees and grass in various spots of the city too, which is nice. I haven't been able to snag a picture of it, but on nice days the ajimahs (little old Korean women) get together their with their scissors and trash bags and they cut the grass in the parks together. They all wear long sleeves and long-brimmed hats as their unofficial uniform because none of them want to get any sun exposure. Cutting the grass is a social activity for them, and they like to make the parks look nice. I'm not sure if there's some benefit to using scissors, though :) There's a nice park near my place that has a playground and a windy path encircling the area. That's where I usually go running. It's nice to have the green throughout the city. Not sure how long this will last though, because it definitely feels like winter is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment